Please make sure you have a copy of the reading schedule for The Kite Runner (or click here).
1. Warming up by introducing yourself to some words you'd like to know:
- Explanation of Kite Runner vocabulary and www.quizlet.com
- Time to make quizlet flashcards and play games
What is a Hazara?
What does Hassan's physical's description represent about his social status?
Why do societies always need a scapegoat?
3. Reading the opening pages of The Kite Runner together with sticky notes or a reading journal; pausing to write, ask aloud, and discuss your level one and level two questions; if you're ready, try to make some inferences as well.
1. By the end of class tomorrow, finish reading and annotating Chapters 1, 2 and 3 of The Kite Runner; annotate by asking level 1 and 2 questions using sticky notes or a reading journal; when you can, try to answer some of your questions. What reading strategies can you use to understand these opening chapters?
2. Continue working on your summary-response draft; final draft due September 25.
3. By next Wednesday, finish your Kite Runner vocab cards (using Quizlet, a different vocab app, or good old-fashioned index cards) for the first 15 words of the following list: Chapters 1-6 .