1. Warming up with a little Act 2 minesweeper
2. Acting out Act 2, scenes 3 and 4: Using your sticky notes, please take charge of the following:
- If your card is a heart...please mark any lines that a show the goodness and/or guilt in a character's heart
- If your card is a diamond..please mark and analyze the use of sounds in these scenes. These can be actual sounds in the stage directions and also sounds referenced in characters' speeches.
- If your card is a club...please keep track of all references to nature (weather, birds, water, etc) and consider how nature reflects what's happening onstage.
- If your card is a spade...please keep track of all references to fear. What does each character fear, and how does this fear affect him or her?
3. Using your little observations to form bigger patterns:
- Look at all of the instances in which your card topic (goodness, sounds, etc.) came up. What do they have in common? Try starting a sentence like this:
- Each time I see guilt in a character in Act 2, that character is...
- Each time there's knocking or a bird shrieking in Act 2...
- So far, _______ (your card topic) seems to symbolize ___________ (bigger idea).
- Look at the focus question at the top of this blog, and respond to it on the class blog. Try to weave your deep thoughts about your card topic into your response.
4. If time allows, viewing the film version of 2.1 with a symbolic focus
1. Update your word trace entries for Act 2, scenes 3 and 4. Everyone should have at least three entries (and hopefully more).
2. Brief quiz tomorrow on capitalization; make sure you have completed your www.noredink.com assignment.
3. Bring your banned book to class tomorrow.