1. Warming up: Figuring out the first step of the hero's journey
What is the hero's journey?
- Some critics believe that there exists a “collective unconscious,” or inner thoughts, feelings, instincts, and memories that reside in the unconsciousness of all people.
- The hero’s journey ties into this, as heroes across all times and cultures share certain traits and experiences.
2. Viewing two examples of the first step of the hero's journey:
As you watch, please respond to the following questions in your notes:
Which characters appear to be following this heroic pattern in The Kite Runner? How so?
How has the separation (physical or emotional) affected these characters’ self-perception, behavior, and motivation? Please include at least one specific passage from the novel to support your response.
3. Entering Fishbowl #3: Chapters 11 and 12 of The Kite Runner
1. Study for tomorrow's vocabulary quiz (Chs. 1-6). We will review at the beginning of class.
2. Bring your independent reading book and/or The Kite Runner for independent reading time. If I have not yet checked your annotations, I will be doing so tomorrow.
3. We will be reading Chapter 13 on Friday and Monday, then we will fishbowl Chapters 14, 15, and 16 on Tuesday (those three chapters put together are only 23 pages long).