Focus: What is the shape of Amir's journey so far, and why does it matter?
1. Warming up with a quick overview of how Joseph Campbell shapes the hero's journey
2. Mapping out Amir's journey
Step 1: Looking over your journals/annotations, select the 10 most defining moments of Amir's life; span Chapter 1 through Chapter 20
Step 2: Based on those moments, what shape best fits Amir's journey?
Step 3: Map out the moments in the shape you have selected (kind of like a timeline but with a more interesting shape)
3. Reflecting on your mapping decisions (if time allows)
- Why did you choose that shape?
- How does it compare to the shapes your classmates chose?
- Looking at your map and others' maps, what new understanding of Amir can you form?
1. Prepare for Tuesday's fishbowl discussion of The Kite Runner, Chapters 21, 22, and 23; we will take some class time on Monday to read, but it's a weighty reading assignment.
2. Bring your annotations/journals to class tomorrow for reading conferences, as well as your independent reading book.
3. Parents: Hopefully, your child gave you the letter I sent home last week regarding conferences. Because I am a part-time teacher, I will only be at parent-teacher conferences on Wednesday night. If this is inconvenient for you, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a different time.