1. Warming up with "Shake the Dust"
As you listen to and watch this spoken-word poem, jot down (or type up) the words and phrases that stand out to you the most. Aim for at least FIVE, I'd say.
Who is this poem for? Why?
What does it mean to "shake the dust?" Close read these two simple words...
- Why "shake" instead of "sweep," or "wipe," or "clean," or "destroy"?
- Why "dust" instead of "dirt" or "grime"?
- According to this poem, we have to _________________ in order to _______________.
- According to this poem, we have to _________________ but also ________________.
1st hour: Pick one line from yesterday's "Directions To Where I Live" exercise to read aloud.
Making a prediction: What must Amir do in order to "shake the dust," and why?
2. Entering Fishbowl #4: Chapters 17 and 18
3. Wrapping up
1. Bring your independent reading book to class tomorrow, as well as your Kite Runner annotations/journal entries.