Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Writing About Macbeth: February 17, 2016

Focus: What larger ideas can we synthesize from Macbeth and "I Myself"?

1. Warming up with grid groups (for the final time, really)

Topic #1: Characters' Deaths 
How does the film have Lady M die, and how is this fitting for her character? How does the film have Macbeth die, and how is this fitting for his character?

Topic #2: Macduff's Emblem 
What is Macduff's emblem, and how is this fitting for his character?

Topic #3: Final Scene 
What's up with the weird, added final scene?

2. Working through the poem "I Myself" together

3. Revising your thesis statements with a little checklist:
  • Does my thesis mention both titles and both authors?
Original: I Myself” by Angel Gonzalez expresses the struggles people go through when they are trying to achieve a certain goal.

Revised: Both "I Myself" by Angel Gonzalez and Macbeth by William Shakespeare express the struggles people go through in trying to achieve a certain goal.
  • Is my thesis a single sentence?
Original: Angel Gonzalez in his poem “I Myself” has a very similar conflict to Macbeth in Shakespeare's famous play “Macbeth.” Both have occurrences where they are the ones standing in the way of their own success.

Revised: Angel Gonzalez in his poem "I Myself" and Macbeth in Shakespeare's famous play Macbeth both have occurences where they are the ones standing in the way of their own success.
  • Does my thesis address a larger theme (underlying message) that both works share?

Original: Macbeth from William Shakespeare’s Macbeth and the speaker from Angel Gonzalez’s “I Myself” are both fighting an internal battle against themselves.

Revised: Macbeth from William Shakespeare's Macbeth and the speaker from Angel Gonzalez's "I Myself" both reveal that the greatest battle a person battles is with himself.
  • Does my thesis avoid "you" and "your"?

Original: Listening to your conscience is an important part of life, but in the play Macbeth by William Shakespeare and the poem “I Myself” by Angel Gonzalez both completely ignore their conscience through greed and pleasure, but pay for it through losing themselves.

Revised: Listening to one's conscience is an important part of life, but in the play...

4. Checking on your supporting evidence. You should have 3-4 quotations:
  • 1-2 quotations from the poem "I Myself"
  • 1-2 quotations from Macbeth (hint: USE YOUR WORD TRACE QUOTATIONS if applicable)
5. Smoothing out your lead-ins

HW:
1. Revise your thesis and supporting examples as needed; MAKE SURE ALL QUOTATIONS HAVE SMOOTH, PROPERLY PUNCTUATED LEAD-INS.

2. Read your banned book (due next Monday).

3. Complete the www.noredink.com assignment, "Sentence Fluency: FANBOYS" by this Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment