Focus: What strategies do we use to understand visual texts?
1. Warm-up: Setting a concrete goals for this unit by revisiting yesterday's pre-assessment and the overview of Critical Reading Boot Camp
Please post the goals below on today's class blog.
a. Looking over your pre-assessment, what's one thing you think you're doing well that you'd like to continue improving upon over the next two weeks?
b. Looking over your pre-assessment, what's one thing you're struggling with that you'd like to improve upon in the next two weeks?
c. After reading the Critical Reading Boot Camp overview, what is one, specific way in which you hope this unit will help you achieve the two goals you listed above?
2. Establishing your main reading strategy with a card trick from Ms. Leclaire: Using little clues to develop the larger picture
3. Applying your new reading strategy to a few paintings by Norman Rockwell
a. Inside your English 10 folder, please set up a folder with your last name and "Reading Boot Camp" in the title.
b. Inside the "Reading Boot Camp" folder, set up a document called "Class Activities." Please put all of your in-class work today (and throughout the unit) inside that folder.
1. Please complete the NEW homework blog by tomorrow ("Feast Your Eyes on This!"); try the reading strategies we practiced in class today.
2. Remember that you need a physical copy of your independent reading book, your short proposal, and your signed permission form in class on Friday, August 28.